I have been reading this book that I borrowed from Vicky called Unique Stories and Facts from LDS History by Dan Barker. It really is one of the most interesting books I have read. Anyway, there is a story about baptism that I just have to share because it made me laugh out loud.
Rulon Francis Thompson relates the following comical story:
I was baptized north of [Richmond]. [The area] was all covered with hawthorn bushes and known as Muddy River [and is now called the Cub River]. Several boys were baptized that day. I remember how cold the water was. It took your breath as you waded out into the river to where we were to be immersed. The water came almost up to our shoulders. When one of the boys, LaFayette Tibbets, came up out of the water he said, "Hell that's cold!" He was immediately immersed in the water again. When he came up the second time, he kept his mouth shut.
Susan Arrington, Growing Up in Zion (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1996), 51
I found it highly amusing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment